Pine Hills began as a 9-hole facility, that was designed and built by Carl and Cecilia Grygiel. Carl came from a golfing family and was one of 7 brothers - all of whom were caddies before World War II. Out of the 7 brothers, 5 entered the golf industry and 4 became PGA professionals. Following World War II, Carl returned and began to build his 9-hole golf course single-handedly with an 8N Ford tractor.
However, Carl was called back into the service for the Korean War in 1950. After 2 more years of service, Carl returned and resumed work on the course. It was completed and opened to the public in 1954, but his work
was not done. By 1965, Carl had built a new clubhouse and in 1967 he completed an additional 9-holes.
He accomplished all of this with his wife and 3 children; Carol, Christine and Carl Jr. by his side.
Carl was a kind and well-respected man who "lived and breathed" Pine Hills.
Now, Pine Hills Golf Course is in its second generation of ownership – Carl Grygiel’s son, Carl James Grygiel, a PGA professional and his wife Becky, purchased the course in February 1985. They, along with their children; Kristen, Audrey, Natasha and Clayton have continuously upgraded the course and clubhouse. As of 2014, Clayton, his wife Erin and their daughter Olivia have been working alongside Carl and Becky. They continue the tradition of providing a quality, full-service, golf facility with a family-friendly atmosphere and are constantly upgrading all aspects of the business. Eventually, Clayton and Erin will take over the third generation of ownership.
Carl and his brothers...the "Golfing Grygiels"!
Carl & his brother-in-law.
Carl ,Carl Jr. & Cecilia
Carol & Christine
Carol, Carl Jr. & Christine
Carl & Carl Jr. digging the pond on #2
Check out this video from 'CNY Open House' about the upgrades that were made to the facility by Carl Jr. and his wife, Becky.